Institutional asset owners committed to ESG issues are finding evermore opportunities to collaborate with like-minded investors through a growing roster of groups and coalitions, often focused on a single ESG topic like climate change.
In the U.S., collaboration is not new for large pension funds like the $403.8 billion California Public Employees' Retirement System, Sacramento, and the $246 billion California State Teachers' Retirement System, West Sacramento, that often join or even help to create coalitions.
"Pension funds are really powerful," said Robert Furdak, ESG CIO for Man Group and based in Boston. "Our voice is much stronger when we speak with one voice."
Some organizations committed to sustainable investing include:
- US SIF: The Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment, tracking ESG themes and assets under management across all asset classes that engage in sustainable investing strategies.
- Ceres, founded in response to the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill to push companies to be better stewards. Today, the Ceres Investor Network has more than 175 institutional investors with $29 trillion in assets.
- The Principles for Responsible Investment, a global coalition providing a framework for investors to align with the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals.
- The Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility, promoting shareholder advocacy on ESG issues.
- Council of Institutional Investors
- CDP, a global environmental impact reporting platform.
- As You Sow, shareholder advocacy and coalition building on environmental and social corporate responsibility.
- Global Impact Investing Network
Climate change coalitions include:
- Global Investor Coalition on Climate Change
- Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change
- Climate Action 100 Plus
- The Investor Agenda, working toward a net-zero emissions economy.
- NetZero Alliance
- Partnership for Carbon Accounting Financials
Other groups include:
- Investor Alliance for Human Rights
- Human Capital Management Coalition
- Midwest Investors Diversity Initiative
- Northeast Investors Diversity Initiative
- Thirty Percent Coalition, to increase diversity in corporate boardrooms.
- Canadian Coalition for Good Governance
- Racial Justice Investing
- Workforce Disclosure Initiative
- Intentional Endowments Network