The purpose of this position is to contribute to Russell Investments’ investment manager evaluation and portfolio management processes. The role will be on the equity manager research team within the Investment Division. The Senior Research Analyst’s investment manager selection will have a direct impact on Russell Investments’ equity funds, multi-asset funds and institutional consulting client portfolios. The team is responsible for evaluating and ranking money managers and for advising on investment decisions made in internal funds and by Russell Investments’ institutional clients.
The responsibilities of the individual in this position include:
• Responsible for analysis and ranking of equity managers, across investment styles (value, growth, market oriented, etc.), subject to peer review. Analysis of investment managers will incorporate quantitative analysis that leverages Russell Investments’ proprietary tool sets and qualitative insights gained from interactions with investment teams.
• Engage regularly with the portfolio management team on manager selection and portfolio positioning. This will include identifying conditions/risks/opportunities within the equity market and regularly communicating opinions on investment managers, passive portfolio alternatives (e.g. smart beta factor portfolios, etc.) and portfolio positioning to our portfolio managers.
• Collaborate on equity market analysis that will be impactful to Russell Investments’ funds. Also, participate in peer-review discussions and provide useful feedback regarding analysis produced by other members of the team. Examples of this analysis can include capital markets, investment factors, style analysis, etc.
• Provide timely, detailed, high quality documentation
of manager research analysis written in a manner that is useful for institutional clients.
• Contribute to Russell’s equity manager research initiatives both quantitatively and qualitatively helping to improve manager research across the organization.
• Participate in broader Investment Division initiatives that involve colleagues outside of the equity team.
• Contribute to Russell's client service, marketing, and/or public relations efforts.
The successful candidate will have demonstrable attributes and experiences including the following:
• Bachelor's degree required in Business, Economics, Finance or related field; Master's degree preferred.
• CFA required.
• Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in money management, investment consulting, or related roles. Candidates with 7+ years’ experience are preferred.
• Experience as a plan sponsor, stock analyst, treasury analyst or trader may be applicable.
• A passion for research and investing and a desire to identify creative solutions.
• Appreciation of a collaborative, team environment where workload and ideas are shared broadly.
• Ability to interview others and form critical judgments based on qualitative and quantitative factors.
• Knowledge of key equity portfolio characteristics.
• Knowledge of the use of statistics from the perspective of an investment professional.
• Understanding of finance and contemporary investment management concepts.
• Experience in a role that includes exposure to financial markets and investment instruments.
• Excellent writing and communication skills.
• Experience with investment analytics systems (e.g. FactSet, Bloomberg, eVestment) is a plus
• Willingness to travel to meet with money managers.
: Application Link