Pensions & Investments' vast news and data resources can be used to win more business. Below are five ways to get ahead of the competition and win more assets with P&I's news and data.
- Monitor terminations in P&I's mandate database. Terminations of mangers by an asset owner can indicate trouble in a manager's strategy. P&I lists the termination reason. If performance or personnel changes are listed, other asset owners might terminate the manager as well. One can cross reference the manager's clients with P&I's U.S. plan sponsor data or the mandate database.
- Monitor legal news in P&I's legal and regulatory database. When a manager gets fined by regulators or sued by current or former clients, asset owners often head for the exits.
- Monitor P&I's M&A database. Whenever a manager gets acquired, it is a material event. Investment consultants and assets owners wonder if the team will have the same focus or will even be in the building. The database captures related people news whenever possible, such as who will be the new firm's CEO and CIO. It would be a useful time to start conversations with investment consultants. One can see when consultants have recommended the manger in the past in the searches and hires database and then use the investment consultant database contacts to reach out to the right research team at consulting firms.
- Monitor people news items in P&I Daily. Often when CIOs or executive directors change at asset owners there is an opportunity for managers to reach out to the executives. New CIOs often review external managers to ensure the fund is getting the best risk-adjusted return.
- Sign up on the Global Fund Search platform. With P&I's new partnership, managers have access to a flow of mandates by global asset owners. Over the past year and a half there are been more than 50 mandates posted with billions in assets up for grabs.