M&G is acquiring a majority stake in impact investing firm responsAbility Investments, M&G said Thursday in a news release.
Zurich-based responsAbility has $3.7 billion in assets under management. It focuses on private debt and private equity impact investing in 70 emerging markets. It invests across three themes tied to United Nations Sustainable Development Goals: financial inclusion, climate finance and sustainable food.
As of June 30, M&G had £370 billion ($512 billion) in assets under management and administration, including £90 billion managing institutional accounts.
The agreement calls for M&G to acquire about 90% of responsAbility shares, with plans to acquire the remaining 10% later. The deal is subject to regulatory approval.
John Foley,M&G CEO, said in the release that the acquisition strengthens M&G's position in sustainable investing, especially in emerging markets, and will accelerate growth in private assets. M&G manages £65 billion of private and alternative assets, roughly split evenly, spokesman Richard Miles said in an interview.
The M&G acquisition "will accelerate our endeavours to meet the massive unmet demand in developing countries and the needs for climate finance," Rochus Mommartz, CEO of responsAbility, said in the release. Mr. Mommartz will continue as CEO.