Senior Investment Officer
EXMT03-10077-Senior Investment Officer (Fixed Income or Equities)-Cheyenne
Salary: $160,000.00 - $189,000.00 Annually
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Job Type: Full Time
Department: 072-Wyoming Retirement System
Job Number: 10077
Open Until Filled
This position will be responsible for sourcing, evaluating, and monitoring current and prospective investment managers for the portfolio. As the head of the asset class, this position will report to the Chief Investment Officer and is responsible for various investment related tasks in addition to comprehensive coverage of one asset class. Depending on the skill set of the candidate, this role can either be for the head of the fixed income or equity asset class within the WRS portfolio. The WRS portfolio is comprised of externally managed funds with Investment Staff having discretionary authority over all investments.
WRS offers an excellent benefits package, including the opportunity for performance-based incentive compensation up to 75% of base salary. Additional benefits include medical/dental//vision/life insurance, flexible spending accounts, voluntary short and long term disability, paid vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, pension, 457 deferred compensation plan, longevity pay and opportunities for advancement. In addition, WY has no state income tax.
This position is at-will. The Wyoming Retirement System requires that each candidate submit a resume to include references and cover letter outlining applicable memberships, certifications and licenses and relevant experience.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
• Provide leadership to assigned asset class and organization
• Adhere to and improve the policies and methods for underwriting existing external managers and potential new managers, and recommend both additions and removal of managers/strategies when applicable
• Assist in recommending, monitoring, and adjusting the asset allocation of the overall portfolio
• Perform initial and ongoing due diligence and annual manager review
• Accountable for investment performance and risk monitoring of the assigned asset class
• Coordinate application of strategies and resources to monitor impact of risk and to maximize opportunities
• Gather and analyze research on various managers and investment strategies
• Read and evaluate a range of research reports
• Ensure effective communications with portfolio managers
• Assure money managers adhere to WRS Investment Policy
• Develop and deliver presentations to the WRS Board and others
• Ability to travel on an as needed basis
• Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation and/or Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA)
• Master's Degree in Finance/Economics/Business Administration
• 7+ years investment experience
• Manager selection experience for a pension, endowment, foundation, family office, or similar institution
• Broad knowledge of investment instruments across all asset classes including a thorough understanding of financial markets concepts and principals
• Knowledge of equity and fixed income security analysis and valuation techniques
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to interact with the Board of Trustees and instill confidence
• Strong time management and organizational skills
• Strong quantitative/analytical aptitude and problem solving skills
• Thorough understanding of macroeconomics and its influence on investments
• Familiarity with risk analytic and evaluation tools
• General computer literacy and proficiency in spreadsheet and word processing software packages
• Commitment to teamwork and culture of excellence
• Superb work ethic, attention to detail, and commitment to the team and organizations' goals
None - See Preferences
Necessary Special Requirements
• FLSA: Exempt
• Statutory authority authorizes exceeding the maximum of the pay band for this position.
• Successful applicants are required to pass a criminal background investigation
• This position is at-will and is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the CIO
072-Wyoming Retirement System - Investments
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
Visit our website at http://retirement.wyo.gov/default.aspx to learn more.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and proudly supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
There are many benefits to living and working in Wyoming. Beautiful country with wide open spaces and clean air, great recreational opportunities, and no State income tax to mention a few! In addition, the State of Wyoming offers State employees a very generous benefit package. Please click here for more information on the State of Wyoming employee benefits*.
For additional information on living in the state of Wyoming please click here.
(AA) Which of the following best describes your highest completed level of education to date or within the next three (3 months)? (Transcripts may be required.)
• High School Diploma/GED/or Equivalent
• Some college Coursework, No Degree Received
• Associate's Degree
• Associate's Degree and additional coursework
• Bachelor's Degree
• Bachelor's Degree and additional coursework
• Master's Degree
• Master's Degree and additional coursework
• Doctorate Degree
• Doctorate Degree and additional coursework
• None of the Above
(AA) Which of the following Quarter/Semester credit hours best describes your completed college education to date or within the next three (3 months)? (Transcripts may be required.)
• 45+ Quarter hours/30+ Semester hours
• 90+ Quarter hours/60+ Semester hours
• 136+ Quarter hours/91+ Semester hours
• 180+ Quarter hours/120+ Semester hours
• 225+ Quarter hours/150+Semester hours
Are you a Charted Financial Analyst (CFA) charterholder?
Do you have a Master's Degree in Finance/Economics/Business Administration?
Do you have at least 7+ years investment experience?
Please describe your investment experience.
Do you have experience in Manager selection for a pension, endowment, foundation, family office, or similar institution?
Please describe your Manager selection experience.
Where did you hear of this job posting?
(AA) VETERANS' PREFERENCE DISCLOSURE: PER WYOMING STATUTE, current employees of the State of Wyoming are not eligible for veterans' preference. If you are not a current employee of the State of Wyoming, to be eligible to receive veterans' preference you MUST have been a resident of the State of Wyoming for a period of one (1) year or more at any time prior to submitting this application. I have read and understand the veterans' preference disclosure.
• I am not a veteran
(AA) VETERANS' PREFERENCE: If you are a war veteran as defined in section 101, Title 38, United States Code or are the surviving spouse of a war veteran who receives survivor benefits from the federal government based on the veteran's military service, and wish to claim veterans' preference, please attach the appropriate documentation substantiating your claim. Indicate below your appropriate veterans' preference status. By requesting veterans' preference, you are certifying that you meet the statutory requirements as described in the above disclosure.
• Current State Employee
• Veteran - DD214 Attached
• Disabled Veteran (10% or more) - DD214 and Veteran's Disability Determination Attached
• Surviving Spouse of a Deceased Veteran - DD214 and proof of Survivor Benefit Attached
• None of the above
(AA) Please be advised that an incomplete application WILL NOT be considered for employment. An attached resume' is not required and is not an acceptable substitution for a completed application. Some State of Wyoming agencies use E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities at https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify. I have read and understand the above statement.
Agency: State of Wyoming
Address: Dept. of Admin. & Information-Human Resource Div.
2001 Capitol Ave. Emerson Bldg. Rm 127
Cheyenne, Wyoming, 82002