Index provider MSCI added five thematic indexes that track companies focused on innovations such as artificial intelligence and other autonomous technologies, genomics and next generation Internet technologies.
The indexes were developed in collaboration with ARK Investment Management, according to a news release Wednesday.
The indexes are:
- MSCI ACWI IMI Autonomous Technology & Industrial Innovation index, which includes companies deriving revenue from innovations in autonomous technologies such as AI and machine learning.
- The MSCI ACWI IMI Genomic Innovation index, which includes companies in the fields of genomic sequencing, agricultural biotechnology and molecular diagnostics.
- MSCI ACWI IMI Next Generation Internet Innovation index, which includes companies involved in big data, the "internet of things," and the increased use of shared technology and infrastructure.
- MSCI ACWI IMI Fintech Innovation index, which includes companies involved in technological innovation in the financial sector.
- MSCI ACWI IMI Innovation index, featuring a diversified balance of the above four indexes.
"Technological advances, health crises, scientific discoveries, and changes in business and consumer behavior continue to transform global dynamics," said Stephane Mattatia, MSCI's head of thematic indexes, in the news release. "Investors are increasingly demanding innovative tools that enable them to better identify growth from these economic and societal transformations."
The new indexes join nine existing thematic indexes tracking megatrend performance, including the Disruptive Economic index, which includes cybersecurity, digital payment, e-commerce and social media companies, and the Millennials index, which includes companies exposed to the spending power and preferences of millennials.