Org. Setting and Reporting:
The United Nations Secretary-General is responsible for the investment of the assets of the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF). The Secretary-General has delegated this responsibility to the Representative of the Secretary-General for the investment of the assets of the UNJSPF (RSG). The RSG heads the Office of Investment Management (OIM), which manages a $60+ billion multi-asset class, global investment portfolio, about 85% of which is actively managed in-house. Asset classes under management comprise global equities, fixed income, foreign exchange, private equity, real estate, infrastructure, timber and commodities. OIM’s staff are all based in New York but come from over 30 countries. For more information please visit OIM's website at https://oim.unjspf.org/.
This position is located in the Operations Section of OIM. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Accountant, and general guidance of the Chief, Operations Section.
Within delegated authority, the Tax Accountant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Analyses accounts and reviews/evaluates regular financial reports with a large volume of investment transaction at OIM, from the Custodian Bank.
• Identifies problem transactions and irregularities in tax related accounts, resolving them in a timely and effective manner.
• Approves/Confirms that proposed obligations or expenditure for tax services are in accordance with the Financial Regulations and Rules of the Fund and corresponding approved allotments.
• Ensures that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems related to direct and indirect tax are functioning and that all relevant records/documents are maintained.
• Assists, prepares or consolidates financial statements for inclusion in the UNJSPF Statements to be audited.
• Responds to internal/external audit observations.
• Provides tax related advice and guidance concerning the UNJSPF’s Financial Regulations and Rules and Accounting Instructions.
• Provides authoritative interpretation of requirements for handling tax transactions.
• Coordinates and supervises the processing of tax reclaims.
• Monitors, analyses, and approves transactions for tax related entry into the accounting system.
• Identifies methods to operationalize United Nations privileges and immunities in relation to tax on investment transactions.
• Collaborates in developing strategic tax initiatives including structuring, benchmarking, end-to end process review, modelling of potential tax changes and related impact.
• Keeps abreast and provides guidance on international tax law and tax compliance obligations of the Fund.
• Defines requirements, prepares application documents and works with tax advisors and the custodian bank to ensure refund of taxes withheld..
• Participates in the development of tax accounting policies and process manual.
• Provides information needed to respond to audit findings.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, accounting or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional experience in accounting, finance, budget, administration is required.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional experience in monitoring tax expense, preparation of tax returns, and/or analysing tax laws is required.
Experience in working on tax related matters of International tax exempt Organizations is required.
Experience working with global custodian banks and tax authorities in multiple tax jurisdictions is desirable.
Experience in the process of reclaiming tax withheld on investment transaction in multiple tax jurisdictions is desirable.
Experience with tax structuring for alternative investments including Real Estate and Private equity funds is desirable.
Experience using word processing and spreadsheet applications, including working with pivot tables, lookup functions and creating graphs are desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Applicants are urged to carefully follow all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, Inspira. Please go to https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=133739&Lang=en-US to apply.