Investment Diversity Manager (Associate Portfolio Manager)
The CalSTRS Investments Branch is seeking an experienced individual to work as an Associate Portfolio Manager in the Investment Executive Unit.
The Investments Branch manages the investment portfolio for the nation’s second largest public pension fund; providing retirement, disability and survivor benefits to California’s more than 949,000 K-12 teachers, plus community college educators and their families. The Investments Branch manages a portfolio that is broadly diversified into seven asset categories with assets totaling approximately $246 billion as of October 31, 2019. In 2019, the CalSTRS Investments Branch was named in Pensions & Investments magazine’s “Best Places to Work in Money Management” list for the fifth time since 2013, and our employees continue to support an inclusive environment.
The Associate Portfolio Manager will work with the Deputy Chief Investment Officer (DCIO) and Asset Class Directors in order to expand and manage the diversity of external investment managers, organize events that promote diversity in the broader investment industry, and facilitate relationships with industry affinity groups.
Primary responsibilities of the Associate Portfolio Manager include:
• Collaborating with the Deputy CIO and the Investments Branch Diversity Steering Committee to manage and coordinate CalSTRS investment management diversity and inclusion strategy.
• Serving as CalSTRS Investments ambassador to the investment managers market place, along with the CIO, DCIO, and Investment Branch leadership.
• Represent CalSTRS diversity efforts at all events and at major educational / trade organization conferences
• Help external firms understand CalSTRS portfolio and external investment manager review process.
• Leading the Investments Branch Diversity & Inclusion Team.
This position is eligible for incentive compensation and has a maximum incentive opportunity of 45% of base salary, increasing to 50% in the next fiscal year July 1, 2020.
An Associate Portfolio Manager who possesses a professional certification in one of the following designations: Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA) or Chartered Alternative Investment Analysts (CAIA) may receive a 5% monthly base pay differential. Only one 5% base pay differential is eligible regardless of the number of certifications.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative self-starter with a passion for diversity and inclusion, and experience working for a pension system.
Apply Online at https://jobs.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=187721
For questions about this position, please contact [email protected]