Equity Analyst, Global Sector Portfolio
Public Equities Division
Making a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With over $140 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, the 8th largest public pension fund in the U.S. and the 25th largest public or private pension fund in the world.
We are a mission-driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating respectable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB is recognized as a premier investment manager because of the highly qualified staff successfully managing the assets of the WRS trust funds. SWIB is committed to investing in talented professionals that will help implement a robust and sophisticated investment strategy to manage over half of the trust fund assets internally and keep the organization at the forefront of the investment industry. As an innovative organization, SWIB offers professional development opportunities to help staff sharpen and expand their skills. Approximately 61 percent of SWIB’s investment professionals are Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) charterholders.
About the Team
The Public Equities division consists of 26 people that run approximately $15 billion in AUM for SWIB. The division currently produces two portfolios – a small-cap domestic portfolio and a large-cap global portfolio. The small-cap portfolio is run as a single product, while the global portfolio is run as a collection of sector “sleeves” with 1-3 person teams creating active portfolios for each of the 11 GICS sectors.
All portfolios are driven by stock selection processes that are grounded in a fundamental assessment of the underlying business model’s risks and opportunities overlaid with an appropriate valuation framework. Investment professionals interact with outside analysts and experts, meet with management teams, attend conferences and sometimes do site visits as part of our analytical process. Our portfolio construction process blends these insights with risk and alpha factor sensitivities to create portfolios that produce alpha in a consistent risk efficient manner over time.
SWIB is seeking an equity analyst in its Public Equities division to work within one of the agency’s large-cap global sector portfolios. While at least 3 years of experience is preferred, the team is open to hiring within a range of 3-7 years of equity analysis experience. The incumbent will actively build financial statement and valuation models, interact with management teams and industry experts, and communicate their investment ideas within the team and broadly throughout SWIB.
• Practice security selection consistent with the team’s investment process to generate alpha vs. a benchmark.
• Directly perform fundamental business model assessment and valuation analysis of individual securities as part of a stock selection process.
• Contribute to the effective management of the risk parameters of the portfolio to meet SWIB’s tracking error and risk profile expectations.
• Evaluate performance attribution reports and risk reports.
• Provide written and oral updates on recommendations, industries and other relevant developments.
The ideal candidate:
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in public equities research with a preference of most recent experience coming from the buy-side. Experience within the Technology sector is ideal.
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree and CFA strongly preferred.
• Ability to work within a clearly articulated investment process.
• Familiarity with multi-factor risk models (Barra, etc.) is preferred.
• Experience with global public markets is ideal but not required.
• FactSet and/or Bloomberg experience preferred but is not required.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• An ability to be adaptive and thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment.
• Superb work ethic, attention to detail, team orientation, and commitment to excellence.
• Competitive McLagan-based total cash compensation
• A comprehensive benefit package
• Educational and training opportunities
• Tuition reimbursement
• Challenging work in a professional environment
The position requires U.S. work authorization and residency in, or willingness to relocate to the Madison, Wisconsin area. SWIB is prepared to offer relocation assistance as needed.