Chief Operating Officer
Title: Chief Operating Officer
Salary: $170,000 - $200,000
Bureau/Division: Bureau of Asset Management
Period: September 23, 2022 – Until Filled
The Bureau of Asset Management (BAM) is responsible for oversight of the investment portfolios of the New York City Retirement Systems (Systems). This $240 billion total portfolio is managed primarily by external investment managers and is largely invested in publicly-traded securities. In addition, approximately $10 billion of city funds are invested internally.
Reporting directly to the Deputy Comptroller/Chief Investment Officer, the Chief Operating Officer’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assists the CIO in developing and executing a formal strategic plan designed to improve the functionality of the Bureau;
- Acts as a strategic thought partner with the CIO to set a road map for BAM and identifies the steps needed to reach the determined goals;
- Evaluates existing procedures and staffing assignments and provides insights and recommendations to the CIO regarding new ideas and improvements;
- Works and interfaces with multi-disciplinary groups including those focused on internal and external operations, information systems, records management and vendor services to gain a clear understanding of the processes and develops a plan to improve and enhance those functions within the Bureau of Asset Management;
- Monitors changes as they occur to ensure that they are in line with the pre-set goals and makes adjustments, as necessary;
- Prepares executive level presentations to share with leadership including the CIO, and the New York City Comptroller, and,
- Performing other related assignments and special projects as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
A bachelor’s degree and eight (8) or more years of progressively responsible experience leading teams complex asset management operations and their associated systems at a large and/or complex financial services organization.
PREFERRED SKILLS IN ADDITION TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Record of accomplishment in driving efficient and effective organizational change;
- Experience with the development, implementation, and/or monitoring of policies and procedures within a large public institutional investment environment;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to develop and implement practical strategies and develop solutions to identified issues;
- Excellent writing, presentation and communication skills; superior writing, communication, research and presentation skills;
- Exceptional organizational, time management and administrative skills and ability to coordinate multiple diverse projects and set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of work related information and materials;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
TO APPLY: Please visit our website at www.comptroller.nyc.gov and click on the “EMPLOYMENT” tab.
- The selected candidate will be subject to the financial disclosure requirements of the office’s Personal Trading Policy.
- New York City residency will be required in accordance with citywide guidelines.
- Under Executive Order 75, all new City employees are subject to mandatory vaccination requirements.
- We appreciate every applicant’s interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Vacancy notices listed as “Until Filled” will be posted for at least five workdays.
The NYC Comptroller’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer