Chief Investment Officer
The California State Teachers’ Retirement System is seeking to fill our Chief Investment Officer position. The ideal candidate will be able to provide strategic leadership and direction for the CalSTRS Investment Branch while reporting to the Teachers’ Retirement Board in collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer and serve as a member of CalSTRS executive staff. The CIO is responsible for developing, recommending, implementing and monitoring the policies, strategies and initiatives to support the CalSTRS strategic plan. The CIO is responsible for managing a significant and complex budget and providing leadership and direction to a diverse team while fostering a collaborative culture of excellence, diversity, equity and inclusion. The CIO oversees all CalSTRS investment portfolios, both defined benefit and defined contribution funds, and investment operations through a Deputy Chief Investment Officer and Director of Investment Services.
CalSTRS’ CIO must possess exceptional leadership qualities, investment management capabilities and demonstrated excellence leading people. The ideal candidate must have worked in a complex financial environment within the public sector or a large institutional setting. An advanced degree is desirable. The ideal candidate must possess the following competencies:
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in investment management.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in business administration, economics, finance, or a closely related field.
- Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to build and continue to lead, motivate, and mentor a large team of investment professionals while fostering a culture of collaboration, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Knowledge of and ability to lead and implement diversity, equity, and inclusion principles.
- Experience working within a complex financial environment within the public sector or large institutional setting.
- Track record of successful asset allocation, risk management, and implementation of investment strategies.
- Track record of creating and executing long-term investment plans that align with organization's strategic goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated experience in managing substantial operating budgets and financial resources.
- Knowledge of investment regulations, compliance standards, and reporting requirements, and ability to ensure program operates within legal and regulatory boundaries.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with diverse stakeholders, including the Board, CEO, legislative bodies, and external partners.
- Strong communication skills to convey complex investment strategies and concepts clearly to various stakeholders, including the Board and executive staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build and maintain relationships in a highly visible role.
- Ability to represent the organization in public forums, advocating for the investment program and maintaining credibility within the investment community.
- Demonstrated commitment to ethical behavior and transparency in all investment decisions and interactions.
- Demonstrated commitment to creating and sustaining a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace.
- A forward-thinking leader who can anticipate industry shifts and identify innovative opportunities to enhance investment program performance.
- Continue to maintain the organization’s reputation as a partner of choice.
- Work in partnership with Board to execute investment policies.
The annual salary range is $408,000–$612,000. Placement in the salary range is dependent on the incumbent’s experience and qualifications. If the incumbent possesses a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA) or Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) certification, the incumbent may receive a 5% monthly base pay differential. Only one 5% base pay differential is eligible regardless of the number of certifications. This position has the opportunity to earn an annual performance-based award of up to 200% of the annual salary. Relocation benefits may be available.
Click here for additional details and link to apply.