Chief, Data Management and Business Applications Unit, P5
Job Opening 173287, Chief, Data Management and Business Applications Unit, P-5
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Secretary-General is responsible for the investment of the assets of the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF). The Secretary-General has delegated this responsibility to the Representative of the Secretary-General for the investment of the assets of the UNJSPF (RSG). The RSG heads the Office of Investment Management (OIM), which manages a $86+ billion multi-asset class, global investment portfolio, about 85% of which is actively managed in-house. Asset classes under management comprise of global equities, fixed income, foreign exchange, private equity, real estate, infrastructure, timber, and commodities. OIM’s staff are all based in New York and come from over 30 countries. For more information please visit OIM's website at https://oim.unjspf.org/.
This position is located in the Data Management and Business Applications Unit within the Operations and Information Systems Section of the Office of Investment Management (OIM) of the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF). The incumbent reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
Within delegated authority, the Chief of the Data Management and Business Applications Unit will be responsible for the following duties:
- Plans and directs the work programme on data analysis, providing both methodical and managerial supervision of all investment-related data analytics strategies and fosters the creation of a data-driven culture, related to data literacy across the organization.
- Develops strategies and programmes related to data management and governance
- Implements systems and processes to support the data management function within the Office of Investment Management
- Conceptualizes, develops strategy for and oversees the design and implementation of major systems initiatives; manages/oversees multiple, concurrent and often disparate tasks for projects that often involve innovative applications, dissimilar systems, as well as databases and highly complex system integration and linkages.
- Provides authoritative technical and policy advice to senior managers on systems development in a changing business environment and the implications of various alternatives, on business applications and other related issues; identifies and plans for future needs; develops and disseminates best practices.
- Leads and directs a team of information systems officers; may oversee activities for a discrete work section or equivalent; plans and allocates work assignments; coaches, mentors, and evaluates staff; participates in recruitment and selection of new staff and in the development of training programs.
- Manages procurements, including conducting needs assessments and benchmarks, preparing bid documents and arranging contracts; supervises, coordinates and negotiates the services required to enable the management and operation of interdependent administrative, financial, human resources and other information systems.
- Develops and monitors performance measures; ensures that projects meet established time and cost parameters and standards of technical quality.
- Sets up, controls and oversees Helpdesk support services.
- Prepares and monitors the budget, work program, and spending plan.
- Develops innovative solutions to resolve intricate problems that impact a critical area of the organization’s work.
- Ensures the development of standards, procedures and practices to ensure a stable and effective systems environment.
- Collaborate with management to prioritize organization and information needs
- Oversee development and implementation of databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality
- Guide team members to identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns, using machine learning techniques, statistical methods to identify relevant features and variables in structured and unstructured sources of information and data.
- Ensure appropriate processes and techniques for each project are used by team member
- Develop and oversee analysis, reporting and quality control capabilities
- Oversee full lifecycle analysis to include requirements, activities and design.
- Review implemented models against technical and strategic criteria
- Manage strategy development for key projects and oversee strategy execution
- Plans, organizes and manages staff and evaluates their performance
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in computer science, data science, information science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in applied analytics, business intelligence, information management, statistics, project management, stakeholder management or related area is required.
A minimum of five years of managing and overseeing a portfolio management and trade order management system (such as Bloomberg AIM, BlackRock’s Aladdin, or others), with knowledge and familiarity of the different modules and functionalities across the platform is required.
A minimum of five years of managing a series of projects and initiatives for an investment management organization is required.
A minimum of two years of experience managing a team of business and/or data analysts is required.
Experience leading a data strategy and/or data governance initiative for an investment management organization, including experience in interviewing end-users and gathering requirements is required.
Experience leading and/or participating in the development of a long-term target operating model initiative and/or a long-term technology roadmap for an investment management organization resulting in a program of initiatives is required.
Experience in using data to guide decisions, develop strategic direction, and oversee execution is desirable.
Experience with self-service analytics and data visualization applications (MS PowerBI, Tableau or similar), or business intelligence tools (PowerBI, SAP Business Objects, etc.) is desirable.
Experience with database or programming languages (SQL, Python, R) is desirable.
Applicants are urged to carefully follow all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, Inspira. Please go to https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=173287&Lang=en-US to apply.