Associate Risk Officer, P2
Closing Period: 1/25/23
Job Opening Number: 22-Programme Management-UNJSPF OIM-197270-R-New York (R)
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Secretary-General is responsible for the investment of the assets of the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF). The Secretary-General has delegated this responsibility to the Representative of the Secretary-General for the investment of the assets of the UNJSPF (RSG). The RSG heads the Office of Investment Management (OIM), which manages approximately $70+ billion multi-asset class, global investment portfolio, about 85% of which is actively managed in-house. Asset classes under management comprise global equities, fixed income, foreign exchange, private equity, real estate, infrastructure, timber and commodities. OIM’s staff are all based in New York but come from over 30 countries. For more information please visit OIM's website at https://oim.unjspf.org/.
This position is located in the Risk and Compliance Section. The incumbent reports to the Risk Officer.
Within delegated authority, the Associate Risk Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Works with key clients to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Ensures the follow-up of the relationship with different data providers (Master Record Keeper, indexes providers, performance and risk management system)
- Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities, etc., to include collecting, cleaning, treating, rationalizing, analyzing, interpreting and presenting various financial, market and statistical data coming from diverse sources.
- Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging issues and trends, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies. Takes part into the GIPS certification process.
- Assists in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Participates in survey initiatives; assists with design of data collection tools; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions. Participates to the implementation of the Risk and Performance software.
- Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g., draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc. This includes the preparation, automation, verification of regular performance measurement and risk-related reports for various internal and external stakeholders as well as for controlling and regulatory entity bodies.
- Provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars, etc.; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Contributes to the collection and analysis of data as well as identification of trends or patterns and provides draft insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and experience of investment performance measurement for all asset classes (fixed income, equities, private equity and real estate). Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to assist with data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
An advanced degree in business administration, management, economics or a related field. A first level university degree in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. CIPM or CFA qualification is desirable.
A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme management/administration or related area is required.
A minimum of two years of experience in the asset /investment management/Financial services/ Economics research or related field/industry is required.
Experience using advanced functions in Microsoft Excel (such as redaction of complex formulas,
and Pivot Tables) is required.
Experience with performance measurement across asset classes (Equities, fixed income, private markets) is desirable.
Experience using Bloomberg/Database/ Asset Management software is desirable.
Experience with GIPS (Global Investment Performance Standards) is desirable.
Experiences with internal/external reporting or analysis/research in micro/macro-Economics is desirable
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
For more information on how to apply, please go to https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=197270&Lang=en-US