Associate Portfolio Manager, Sustainable Investment & Stewardship Strategies
The CalSTRS Investments Branch is seeking an experienced individual to work as an Associate Portfolio Manager in the Sustainable Investment & Stewardship Strategies (SISS) unit.
The Sustainable Investment & Stewardship Strategies (SISS) unit was initially established in 1978 to protect assets through good governance and operational accountability. Today the unit focuses on three primary strategies: managing a portfolio of sustainability-themed investments across public and private markets that are additive to the Total Fund; leading CalSTRS stewardship activities focused on corporate engagement and proxy voting; and supporting strategic relationships with CalSTRS members and partners. The SISS unit also leads multiple efforts across the Investments Branch, including the Net Zero Portfolio Emissions Strategy, which includes reducing financed emissions, increasing investment in low-carbon solutions, and using CalSTRS influence to accelerate the transition to a net zero global economy.
Under the general direction of the Portfolio Manager, the Associate Portfolio Manager (APM) provides leadership and expertise in investment and portfolio management in support of the Sustainable Investment & Stewardship Strategies (SISS) portfolio. The SISS portfolio is an opportunistic multi-asset class portfolio with a global remit. The incumbent will provide leadership in the diligence, structuring, and execution of investments with a primary focus on investments that support the energy transition and other sustainability focused investments consistent with the SISS portfolio strategy. The APM leads on a wide range of complex duties requiring a high degree of independence and discretionary judgment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- Experience with sustainable investments and real asset investments
- Experience conducting due diligence of potential investments
- Experience identifying key investment merits and risks
- Experience reviewing transaction and legal documentation
- Experience preparing memoranda and presentations
- Experience working in an investment environment
- CFA certification preferred
- Strong interpersonal and mentoring skills
- Knowledge of management techniques related to institutional investment portfolios, including design and construction of an investment portfolio, risk management, due diligence, negotiation and closure, monitoring, reporting restructuring, and exiting.
- Ability to foster diversity and inclusion and empower a team to achieve professional growth and business objectives
- Ability to promote teamwork and cross-functional collaboration and communication in support of CalSTRS' strategic goals
This position is eligible for incentive compensation and has a maximum incentive opportunity of 50% of base salary.
An incumbent who possesses a professional certification in one of the following designations: Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA) or Chartered Alternative Investment Analysts (CAIA) may receive a 5% monthly base pay differential. Only one 5% base pay differential is eligible regardless of the number of certifications.
Relocation benefits may be available.