Tortoise based in Leawood, Kansas.
AUM: About $20 billion
Years won: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Provides employees with intentional and timely communication about the firm, including a weekly voicemail from CEO H. Kevin Birzer with updates and a monthly staff meeting.
- Fosters an entrepreneurial, growth-oriented culture where new ideas are encouraged and respected. Throughout the first quarter, the CEO hosts various lunches with employees to hear ideas on what could make an impact on the business, processes and/or culture.
- Offers benefit plans that are majority employer-paid to help meet families’ needs. The firm picks up the majority of health-care premiums and provides a 401(k) match.
- “This is a growing company, which provides for a ton of new opportunities. We have the benefits of a large company, but still feel like it’s a smaller/well-connected company. It is very important to leadership that the culture stays intact regardless of our size/growth, which is very visible to all employees.”
- “Tortoise goes out of its way to keep employees happy. From frequent internal trainings and educational opportunities to frequent lunches and free soft drinks.”
- “The people and management are great. Often, I hear new people say that they can feel the difference the moment they walk in the door. New people are amazed that the CEO meets with them during onboarding to give them an overview of the company. Also, we receive very good benefits — good for employees, good for recruiting.’’
Compiled by Meaghan Kilroy