California State Teachers Retirement System located in West Sacramento, California.
AUM: $121 billion in internally managed assets out of a total portfolio of $236.9 billion.
Years won: 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- The office does its best to accommodate time off for outside commitments like children’s events or family vacations.
- Offers various training and development opportunities. The retirement system has a wide range of in-house training programs and courses to fit all stages of employees’ careers. It also offers off-site training and career-related training reimbursement.
- Promotes fitness and health with organizationwide activities like “Bike Month” in May, access to commuter style bikes daily, programs to help quit smoking, walking workstations, a free on-site gym and other initiatives.
- “At the top level, it’s clear that leadership wants to make it a good place to work, and they take steps to check the box on things like tuition, mentoring, recognition and asking for feedback.”
- “Work-life balance, team culture, multiple recognition programs, on-site free gym, on-site cafe, and working for the teachers creates a stronger sense of purpose to the work being performed.”
- “Everyone greets you in the elevator. ... Can really make an impact ... in a positive way when someone you don’t know says hello.”
Compiled by Meaghan Kilroy