Foster City, Calif.
AUM: $3.9 billion
Years won: 2018
Category: Money managers with 50 to 99 employees
• Offers employees a fully paid, six-week sabbatical every seven years. Also covers 90% of education or certification expenses and offers two paid study days a year.
• Matches employees' charitable donations, up to $500 a year per employee; sponsors and donates to various non-profit events and initiatives. In 2017, the firm donated more than $120,000 to roughly 50 charities.
• Provides an open compensation system where employees can request to see what their colleagues are earning.
• "We have no doors on our offices, we have an open salary policy and the level of interaction of all employees via regular weekly briefings allows for complex, yet open conversations that make working here stimulating each day."
• "The company removes any impediments to employees' ability to do their best work, supports employees when they experience tough times in their personal (lives), and offers flexibility for those who find it helpful to work from home."
• "Bailard is based on trust and transparency, and the senior management team truly believes in these values. Policies aligned with these values include open finances, ability to work remotely, and regular updates on company and division results and progress."