Wyoming Retirement System, Cheyenne, is searching for multiple managers to run up to $560 million combined in a global tactical asset allocation strategy and a global macro hedge fund strategy, confirmed Trent May, chief investment officer.
Both are first-time investments for the $5.6 billion system.
Mr. May said in a telephone interview that the system plans to hire two or three managers to run a traditional GTAA and risk-parity mandate, which will account for about 70% of the allocation. The system also plans to hire three to six managers for a global macro hedge fund mandate, which will make up the remaining 30% of the $560 million.
He said the number of managers hired for both investments is dependent on RFP responses.
The two investments will make up about 10% of the entire portfolio.
“We are trying to get a better risk-adjusted return stream than our traditional long-only equity and fixed-income managers can provide,” he said.
Proposals are due Sept. 17. Mr. May said system officials aim to make a decision by Jan. 1.
The RFP is available upon request through the system's website at http://retirement.state.wy.us/investments/invrfp.asp.
Interested parties also can call Lori Galles, State of Wyoming purchasing agent, at 307-777-6797 for further information.