We gathered web experts from across the investment industry in a virtual setting to judge more than 50 money manager websites for Pensions & Investments' Best of the Web contest.
Judges were not allowed to evaluate the sites of their own firms.
Our judges were:
* Frank Armo, vice president of electronic business development, Fidelity Institutional Retirement Services Group. In this role, Mr. Armo directs and coordinates the research, design and development of new strategic Internet-based services for Fidelity's 401(k), defined benefit, and health and welfare lines of business. He joined Boston-based Fidelity in 1988 and is a frequent speaker at pension and benefits industry conferences.
* Michael Barry, president, Plan Advisory Services Group, a consulting firm that helps financial services corporations with the regulatory issues facing their plan sponsor clients. The Chicago-based firm also provides content to websites. Before founding Plan Advisory Services Group, he was a managing director at Bankers Trust.
* Giri Cherukuri, head trader, OakBrook Investments LLC. He is also the founder of InvestmentSeek.com, a Chicago-based web portal for the investment management industry. Chicago-based InvestmentSeek.com has links to more than 400 money manager sites categorized by asset class; a directory of pension fund consultants and links to their websites; a listing of conference and seminar dates; a directory of more than 175 venture capital firms worldwide; links to stock exchange websites; stock quotes; and career information.
* Donna Delpo, product manager, technology, SEI Investments Asset Management Group; and John May, senior vice president and business head, SEI's TreasuryPoint.com, who worked together in judging the websites. Ms. Delpo joined SEI in June 1999 and completed a redesign of SEI's website. Her main responsibilities include research, organization and implementation of technology programs. Mr. May is responsible for site operations, sales, marketing and product development for TreasuryPoint.com, which allows treasury professionals to use business tools online. He has built a number of other technology products during his nine years at the Oaks, Pa.-based firm.
* David Freese, manager of web editorial services, Frank Russell Co. Mr. Freese, the first person to hold that title, is in charge of editorial content on the company's website. He has led similar efforts for Babson Funds.
* Michael McGlinn, client Internet manager of corporate and institutional services, Northern Trust Co. Mr. McGlinn is responsible for working with the company's product and technology groups to develop an Internet strategy for corporate and institutional services. He is also involved in marketing the strategy to clients, partners and prospects. Mr. McGlinn began working at the Chicago-based firm in 1981.
* Fred Williams, technology reporter, Pensions & Investments. Mr. Williams is responsible for covering investment, trading and risk-management technology.
* Susan Barreto, technology reporter, Pensions & Investments. Ms. Barreto is responsible for covering the Internet and its use by plan sponsors, consultants and money managers.