The Alaska Permanent Fund Corporation (“APFC”) manages the $65 billion Alaska Permanent Fund, a sovereign endowment established in 1976 to provide for all current and future generations of Alaskans. We strive to be a leader in the private equity industry and currently manage $7.5 in assets and $11.5 billion in total commitments.
APFC now seeks to add an experienced investment professional to the private markets team. This position will report to the Director of Private Equities and Special Opportunities and is responsible for identifying, analyzing, selecting, monitoring and managing investments. As a key member of the investments department, the Senior Portfolio Manager will contribute knowledge and experience and can expect to actively influence key investment decisions and departmental operating decisions.
- Identify and track prospective managers, investment partners, and direct investment opportunities
- Develop and apply financial and economic models and stress tests
- Screen and assess new managers and investment ideas; make recommendations to investment team
- Recommend constructive strategic and tactical portfolio improvements.
- Work with investment team to develop investments, produce investment recommendations; supervise and develop junior and external resources
- Monitor counterparties’ compliance with contracts, policies, and strategies
- Examine and negotiate contractual terms and legal structures
- Prepare quarterly updates for the Board
Design and deliver ad hoc reports and analysis upon request
- Represent APFC in day-to-day investment sourcing and oversight matters
- Collaborate with the finance team and fund custodian to effect transactions and manage investments
- Strong commitment to APFC’s vision and its shared values of integrity, stewardship and passion
- Self-motivation and very strong sense of personal and professional integrity
- Intellectual curiosity and excellent attention to detail
- Humility, tenacity, and professional flexibility
- A belief that great outcomes come from great teams; a demonstrated ability to collaborate well in a small, informal team environment
- Bachelor’s degree and strong academic performance; advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant professional experience with reputable private equity group
- Demonstrated familiarity with modern financial theories and global capital markets
- History of successful investing and experience with complex transactional execution
-- High level of proficiency in mathematics and statistics
- Strong writing and effective presentation skills
- Exceptional critical thinking skills
PRIVATE EQUITY AND SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES OVERVIEW
APFC makes fund investments, co-investments and direct investments in private equity, venture capital and other illiquid, alternative investment opportunities. The team oversees the investment process from opportunity identification through evaluation, structuring, negotiation, execution, management and exit. We aim to establish and develop robust and lasting relationships with exceptionally talented fund managers and help them create value in their partnerships and in their portfolios. For co-investments, we focus on non-control positions in growing, innovative companies, well-diversified across company stage, industry and geography.
In Special Opportunities, we leverage our scale and stable, long-term capital to source, evaluate and execute high conviction, theme-driven investments. The team operates with a flexible mandate centered around situations stemming from unusual supply and demand imbalances, capital flight, structural complexities, or unique opportunities with asymmetric expected returns. Investments cover a wide spectrum, including directly-sourced venture capital, real estate and private equity transactions, large co-investments alongside GPs, and ownership stakes in differentiated investment management firms.
Apply online at www.apfc.org/careers