SWIB is seeking an experienced, enthusiastic and dedicated Private Markets and Hedge Funds Investment Operations Director to play a critical role in leading the execution of dynamic and complex Private Equity, Real Estate, Private Debt, Venture Capital, and Hedge Fund investment strategies. The Director will be visionary and lead multiple interconnected projects, manage external parties, and lead optimization of internal processes, internal business transformation and change management programs to provide agile, proactive and efficient investment operational and accounting capabilities and scalability. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and is an essential member of an Operations Management team that helps set and implement operational strategic and business plans in support of growing and sophisticated investments in these asset classes.
• Build and lead a team knowledgeable about unique and complex investment structures (Fund and Direct Investments) and the operational and accounting support required to quickly onboard the full investment management lifecycle processes in an operational risk and controlled manner.
• Identify and implement efficient, effective, and quality processes to drive data quality for investment decision making and financial reporting.
• Promote strong relationships between the investment management teams, internal operational functional teams and third party service providers.
• Onboard and manage third party services to ensure the delivery of quality services in alignment with operations strategic and business plans.
• Develop measures, assess effectiveness, and implement improvements that compare favorably with best practices in the industry.
• Lead and/or support key projects to sustain alignment with the needs of the investment management team.
The ideal candidate will have:
• At least 15 years of experience working in the investment management industry and at least 5 years’ experience with Private Equity, Real Estate, Private Debt, Venture Capital and/or Hedge Funds
• Investment operations (middle and back office) experience preferred
• At least 7 years of experience managing people and teams
• Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, economics, securities operations, or related field required
• Experience with end-to-end investment management lifecycle processes, setting and managing internal controls and identifying and managing operational risk
• Experience developing, promoting, and implementing program strategies that align with operational goals and objectives
• Project management experience implementing investment management technology and third-party services
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• An ability to be adaptive and thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment
• Superb work ethic, attention to detail, team orientation, and commitment to excellence
• Competitive base salary
• Meaningful performance-based incentive compensation
• A comprehensive benefits package
• Educational and training opportunities
• Tuition reimbursement
• Challenging work in a professional, team environment
The position requires U.S. work authorization and residency in, or willingness to relocate to, the Madison, Wisconsin area. SWIB is prepared to offer relocation assistance as needed.
To apply, go to http://www.swib.state.wi.us/careers?gnk=job&gni=8a78819e61c091550161e313f5854182&gns=Pensions%20%26%20Investments ">Careers at SWIB. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
With approximately $100 billion in assets under management, the State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB) is among the world’s largest institutional investors. Using a range of investment strategies across a spectrum of global fixed income, equity, and private market asset classes, SWIB’s core fund has commonly beaten its benchmarks in the one-, five- and ten-year time horizons with a combination of active portfolio management and allocation of assets to external managers. For more information about SWIB, please visit:
SWIB is located in Madison, the capital of Wisconsin and a major Midwestern research and technology university city. The Madison area’s strong quality-of-life factors include a vibrant economy; urban, suburban, and rural living options; a wide range of restaurant, nightlife, entertainment, and shopping venues; nationally acclaimed public university and public secondary school systems; Big Ten athletic events; rich cultural, recreational and outdoors offerings; and favorable cost of living. Madison, Wisconsin consistently earns top results in nationwide quality-of-life rankings, articles and surveys.
For more information about Madison, please visit:
SWIB is an Equal Employment / Affirmative Action Employer
Pre-employment background check is required.