NYC Office of the Comptroller
Salary: $75,000 -$90,000
Bureau/Division: Bureau of Asset Management
Period: November 2, 2017 - Until Filled
The Bureau of Asset Management (BAM) is responsible for the oversight of the investment portfolio of the New York City Retirement Systems (Systems). This $180 billion portfolio is managed primarily by external investment managers. In addition, approximately $10 billion of city agency funds are invested internally.
The Senior Analyst for Alternative Assets (private equity, real estate, infrastructure, opportunistic fixed income and hedge funds) reports to the head of Strategic Initiatives and works very closely with the Investment Operations Support (IOS) team. The primary function of Strategic Initiatives is to bring change, structure and improved controls to the Bureau of Asset Management. Within Strategic Initiatives' mandate is the upgrading of the operating environment through the purchase and implementation of technology tools that support the investment portfolio.
Duties and responsibilities of the position, include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Document the requirements for accounting and reporting for alternative assets as defined by investment and operations staff;
• Work with internal staff and vendors to create templates to allow for data transfers, reporting and analytics;
• Create plans for populating the new alternative assets reporting system that accurately represent historical and new transactions. Provide oversight of the progress and quality of data creation to insure the quality of the systems content;
• Work with alternative assets administrator and IOS to create policies and procedure for oversight of the portfolio;
• Upon implementation, build standardized reporting templates and train BAM staff to get maximum value from the new technology platforms;
• Design new IOS operating procedures which leverage the information available;
• Perform other related assignments and projects as may be required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
1. BS/BA degree from an accredited college or university with a major concentration in finance, accounting, economics, business, technology or a closely related field, and four (4) or more years of experience in a financial services organization largely in the area of alternative assets or with a firm involved in implementing alternative asset administration and reporting systems; or
2. A graduate degree from an accredited college or university in the fields mentioned above and three (3) or more years of professional experience mentioned above.
PREFERRED SKILLS IN ADDITION TO MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
• Experience with accounting, reporting and technology in support of alternative assets and CRM applications; specific experience with the implementation of an alternative assets technology platform such as lnvestran or eFront is strongly preferred;
• Experience in creating and documenting user requirements and processes;
• Hands on experience using and/or implementing an alternative asset reporting system;
• Excellent Microsoft Office computer skills at the user level and strong workflow tool skills;
• Strong written and oral communications skills.
TO APPLY, GO TO: Employment Opportunities at www.comptroller.nyc.gov
The selected candidate will be subject to the financial disclosure requirements of the office's Personal Trading Policy.
Certain residency requirements may apply. We appreciate every applicant's interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
The NYC Comptroller’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer