The UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust is the largest non-governmental purchaser of health care benefits in the United States (www.uawtrust.org). The Trust services over 702,000 UAW retirees and their dependents from General Motors, Ford and Chrysler and hold assets in excess of $57 billion. The trust spends approximately $4.0 billion annually for medical, pharmacy, dental and vision benefits on behalf its members.
The UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust currently has an opening for a Senior Investment Staff Specialist. The position requires a working knowledge of an institutional investment management platform and its various operational related requirements to support the Investment Office in achieving its investment and strategic goals. The Specialist will report to the Chief Investment Officer (“CIO”) and work closely with other senior professionals across the organization to develop key initiatives, establish priorities, creating project management plans, and supervise the progress in achieving these goals. The candidate must be able to coordinate activities with internal and external resources as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Support the CIO in managing activities and initiatives within the Investment Office, which may include working with various internal and external business partners.
• Business planning and budgeting -- able to evaluate key needs of the organization and develop an institutional quality business plan around personnel, systems and technology, investment policies, and estimated travel. Develop a budget consistent with the requirements as outlined within the business plan. Work within the established policies and procedures of the Trust in coordination with the Finance team to develop the annual Investment office budget.
• Project management –work with investment team to create project plans for goals and with definitive tasks and deadlines for investment office related projects. Track and monitor the success and timeliness of the project or ongoing functions.. Review project plans weekly with CIO and highlight successes as well as challenges. An example of this would be developing working with the Senior Managing Director of an asset class to develop and asset class plan and create a project plan to track the success of implementing the asset class plan.
• Reporting – coordinate the reporting efforts for the Investment Office, working closely with the CIO, investment team and other internal/external partners to ensure high quality, accurate and timely reporting for the monthly updates, quarterly Investment Sub-Committee and Committee meetings, and any other reporting needs. Lead efforts for writing and editing investment thought pieces to be distributed from the Investment Office.
• BA/BS/BBA degree. Prefer advanced degree in Business Administration or Operations Management. CFA, CAIA and/or Project Management designation is a plus.
Background and Experience
• Seven years or more experience working in an institutional investment organization including at a financial institution, asset manager, plan sponsor, foundation, endowment or an institutional investment consulting practice. Preferably with an organization who is a capital allocator or a multi-asset organization. Familiarity with investment markets and related institutional processes is a plus.
• Excellent time management, planning and organizational skills. Ability to manage multiple priorities with a shrewd performance accountability orientation, uphold commitments and meet deadlines.
• Strategic and analytical mindset with excellent problem solving skills, attention to detail, and ability to maintain strategic focus coupled with business acumen. Prefer demonstrated knowledge of decision and data science to constantly improve processes and evaluate business needs, such as cost-benefit analysis.
• Excellent interpersonal and collaborative communication style required. While direct supervisory experience not required, strong influencing and collaboration skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively with all internal and external parties to achieve shared objectives is critical to success in this role.
• Strong written communication and presentation skills. Ability to draft and edit investment thought pieces, ongoing investment reporting and presentations. Prefer experience working with executive management and board-level presentations and communications.
• Computer literate with a solid working knowledge of Office suite—Excel, PowerPoint and Word is a must. Experience with a CRM database and project management software is a plus.
• High level of energy and resiliency with a positive team attitude is a must.
• Some travel may be required.
The compensation for this position is base salary and is not bonus eligible.
The resumes can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .