Data Management Division
With approximately $100 billion in assets under management, the STATE OF WISCONSIN INVESTMENT BOARD (SWIB) is among the world’s largest institutional investors. Using a range of investment strategies across a spectrum of global fixed income, equity, and private market asset classes, SWIB’s core fund has commonly beaten its benchmarks in the one-, five- and ten-year time horizons with a combination of active portfolio management and allocation of assets to external managers. For more information about SWIB, please visit: www.swib.state.wi.us.
To be a trusted and skilled global investment organization contributing to a strong financial future for the beneficiaries of the funds entrusted to us.
SWIB will be an innovative, agile, integrated organization that optimizes investment returns while managing risk and cost over the long term.
SWIB is seeking an experienced Data Management Director to lead its data management function and staff. The director is responsible for agency-wide governance as well as the promotion and utilization of data as an asset. With an innovative focus, the director manages a team of data experts focused on data quality, acquisition, management, distribution, and governance.
• Provide leadership and advice throughout the organization on data matters
• Lead the evolution and maintenance of a mature data governance framework comprised of vision, action planning, people, tools and architecture, policies, organizational alignment, measurement and business processes
• Design, maintain, and promote SWIB’s data management strategies in alignment with SWIB’s strategic vision and specific investment strategies
• Champion the design, implementation, and maintenance of SWIB’s day-to-day data quality operating model, requiring collaboration with delegated data stewards, project managers, technology, business process owners, third party providers, etc.
• Chair a data governance council or related working group
• Promote the security of data and information by developing and enforcing data management policies, standards, and processes
• Oversee data vendor management
• Develop metrics for data transparency, quality monitoring, and process improvements
• Lead and develop data management staff
The ideal candidate will have:
• Bachelor’s degree in finance, data science, technology, business, economics, or related required (Master’s degree is preferred)
• At least 5 years of leadership experience in a data management, governance, and quality capacity (10+ years is preferred)
• Experience leading and managing people
• Investment industry experience (preferred)
• An ability to be adaptive and thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment
• Superb work ethic, attention to detail, team orientation, and commitment to excellence
• Competitive base salary
• Meaningful, performance-based incentive compensation
• A comprehensive benefits package
• Educational and training opportunities
• Tuition reimbursement
• Challenging work in a professional, team environment
The position requires U.S. work authorization and residency in, or willingness to relocate to, the Madison, Wisconsin area. SWIB is prepared to offer relocation assistance as needed.
To apply, go to Careers at SWIB. Deadline to apply is January 22, 2017. Resumes will be accepted and reviewed after that date if the position has not been filled.
SWIB is an Equal Employment / Affirmative Action Employer
Pre-employment background check is required.
SWIB is located in Madison, the capital of Wisconsin and a major Midwestern research and technology university city. The Madison area’s strong quality-of-life factors include a vibrant economy; urban, suburban, and rural living options; a wide range of restaurant, nightlife, entertainment, and shopping venues; nationally acclaimed public university and public secondary school systems; Big Ten athletic events; rich cultural, recreational and outdoors offerings; and favorable cost of living. Madison, Wisconsin consistently earns top results in nationwide quality-of-life rankings, articles and surveys.
For more information about Madison, please visit: