NYC Office of the Comptroller
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Bureau/Division:Executive/Bureau of Asset Management
Period:June 16, 2014 - Until Filled
The New York City Comptroller’s Office is responsible for oversight of the investment portfolios of the New York City Retirement Systems (Systems). This $150 billion portfolio is managed by external investment managers (with cash is managed internally), and is largely invested in publicly traded securities, with significant allocations to private equity, real assets, hedge funds, and opportunistic fixed income investments. The Compliance Officer will identify and implement systems to assess, document protocols, and monitor regulatory compliance, both within the Comptroller’s Bureau of Asset Management and without, in the conduct of external managers, parent companies, affiliates, joint venture partners, as well as the manager’s delegees, on a range of issues relevant to the financial services industry from AML to FCPA to risk tolerances.
Reporting directly to the Comptroller and working with the Chief Investment Officer and the Senior Risk Officer, as well as internal compliance staff, the Compliance Officer’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Developing and administering investment policy controls and monitoring compliance procedures for assets;
• Developing and administering reporting mechanisms for reporting and resolving guideline exceptions;
• Developing policy monitoring systems protocols and reporting processes for the entire portfolio to ensure that all investment decisions are within policy limits and in compliance with System and Comptroller policies, and federal, state, and international law;
• Developing and administering reporting processes to ensure that the Chief Investment Officer and other senior staff are aware of resolved and unresolved discrepancies, and for escalating discrepancies to the appropriate level if resolution is not reached;
• Coordinating compliance efforts with regard to legal and regulatory requirements with the Comptroller’s Bureau of Audit and Office of the General Counsel;
• Working with Investment staff to resolve all portfolio trades and investments that do not comply with investment policy statements and investment guidelines;
• Working with the Senior Risk Officer to develop tools to identify potential investment risks; and
• Performing related work and special projects as may be required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
• Post-graduate degree in law, accounting, finance, business or public administration from an accredited college/university or a law school, and five (5) or more years of experience in a leadership position undertaking complex compliance responsibilities for a financial services institution with more than $10 billion in assets, or closely related capacity.
PREFERRED SKILLS IN ADDITION TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• A JD degree is highly preferred.
• Progressively responsible compliance experience the investments, banking, asset management or closely related field.
• Experience with the development, implementation, and or monitoring of compliance policies within a large public institutional investment environment.
• Excellent quantitative, writing and presentation skills.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
TO APPLY, GO TO:
Employment Opportunities at www.comptroller.nyc.gov
Certain residency requirements may apply.
We appreciate every applicant’s interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
The NYC Comptroller’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer