NYC Office of the Comptroller
Salary: $120,000 - $150,000
Period: June 16, 2014 - Until Filled
The New York City’s Comptroller’s responsibilities include providing comprehensive oversight of the City’s accounting and financial reporting; budget, and fiscal condition; oversight of the investment portfolios of the New York City Retirement Systems (Systems), totaling nearly $150 billion in assets; conducting performance and financial audits of all City agencies; reviewing City contracts for integrity, accountability and fiscal compliance; managing the fair, efficient and effective resolution of claims; ensuring transparency and accountability in the prevailing wage rate setting process and vigorously enforcing prevailing wage and living wage laws; and promoting innovative policies that enhance City government’s efficiency, integrity and performance for all New Yorkers. It is therefore imperative that the Office of the Comptroller maintain rigorous controls within its own office.
Reporting directly to the Comptroller, the Internal Auditor’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Based on risk analysis, develops an internal audit program to test internal control and compliance mechanisms used by various bureaus within the Comptroller’s Office, with particular emphasis on those of the Bureau of Asset Management (“BAM”), which is responsible for the investment portfolio of the Systems;
• Assesses adequacy of control procedures currently in place; develops recommendations for and helps implement improved internal audit control, operating efficiency and documentation;
• Tests and documents the existence of effective internal controls in the areas of finance, accounting, automated technology systems, investment compliance;
• Reviews information technology systems and programs to maximize effectiveness of controls while maintaining efficient operations;
• Maintains open communication with management and communicates audit findings to the Comptroller;
• Conducts reviews of BAM’s investment process to ensure investment operations are in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and directives;
• Documents audit tests and results and prepares audit findings;
• Coordinates activities with the City’s independent auditors and, as appropriate, the Audit Committee of The City of New York, and provides data and information to complete the independent audits as appropriate;
• Oversees agency’s response to annual internal control statement (Directive 1), and performs related work and special projects as may be required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
• Master’s degree in accounting or finance (or business with a concentration in accounting or finance) from an accredited college or university and five (5) or more years of experience auditing a financial services organization (preferred) or other professional service organization or in a complex government auditing practice setting; or
• BS/BA degree in accounting, finance, business or a related field from an accredited college or university, and seven (7) or more years of experience as an auditor in a financial services organization or in a complex government auditing practice setting.
PREFERRED SKILLS IN ADDITION TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• A valid Certified Public Accountant license and/or a certificate as a Certified Internal Auditor or a Certified Fraud Examiner and/or a law degree from an accredited law school and admission to the New York State bar ideal.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and application of generally accepted auditing standards, Government Audit Standards as promulgated by the US Comptroller and internal audit standards as promulgated by the Instituted of Internal Auditors.
• Progressively responsible audit experience, especially in investments and asset management or closely related experience that includes auditing adequacy of compliance and risk controls.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
TO APPLY, GO TO:
Employment Opportunities at www.comptroller.nyc.gov
Certain residency requirements may apply.
We appreciate every applicant’s interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
The NYC Comptroller’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer