Senior Risk Officer
Senior Risk Officer
NYC Office of the Comptroller
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Bureau/Division: Executive/Bureau of Asset Management
Period: March 27, 2014 – Until Filled
The New York City Comptroller’s Office is responsible for oversight of the investment portfolios of the New York City Retirement Systems (Systems). This $150 billion portfolio is managed primarily by external investment managers, and is largely invested in publicly traded securities, with significant allocations to private equity, real assets, hedge funds, and opportunistic fixed income investments. The Senior Risk Officer will identify and implement systems to assess and monitor financial and enterprise risk, and will participate in the oversight of overall asset allocation recommendations. The Senior Risk Officer will devise and implement the enterprise risk management strategy, assist in the evaluation of relevant consultants and external investment managers, and ensure that risk management programs thoroughly meet the needs of the Systems and the Comptroller.
Reporting to the Comptroller and working with the Chief Investment Officer, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Direct the enterprise and financial risk management units;
• Devise and implement the enterprise risk management strategy;
• Participate in the review and recommendation of asset allocation and other investment policies to the Systems;
• Analyze portfolio risk using complex quantitative models and using risk models to review implications of investment decisions on total portfolio risk;
• Prepare reports and make presentations to senior management and the Systems regarding risk management issues;
• Review system-generated scenario analyses and stress tests for the portfolio;
• Recommend new and innovative risk management strategies, including identifying effective risk management technology;
• Oversee the integrity of IT systems;
• Advise on issues of reputational risk;
• Work with internal audit and chief compliance officer to assess effectiveness of risk management systems, and
• Perform related assignments or special projects as may be required.
• Graduate degree from an accredited university in economics, finance, business, or a closely related field, and seven (7) or more years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in a financial services organization with over $10 billion in assets, with progressively increasing responsibility in a risk management position, or similar experience at a consulting, strategic advisory or government entity or closely related area, with at least eighteen (18) months or more in a managerial, administrative, or supervisory capacity. Supervision must have included supervising staff performing professional work in the areas described above; or
• BA/BS degree from an accredited college and ten (10) or more years of full-time experience in a financial services organization, with progressively increasing responsibility as described above, including at least eighteen (18) months of managerial, administrative or supervisory experience as described above.
PREFERRED SKILLS IN ADDITION TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• Chartered Financial Analyst Certification (CFA) or equivalent.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, report writing and organizational skills
TO APPLY, GO TO:
Employment Opportunities at www.comptroller.nyc.gov
Certain residency requirements may apply.
We appreciate every applicant’s interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
The NYC Comptroller’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer