Special Investment Officer (Fixed Income Portfolio Manager)
State Insurance Fund
Vacancy Notice INV 14-02
Posting Deadline: August 15, 2014
New York State Insurance Fund:
The New York State Insurance Fund (“NYSIF” or the “Fund”) is a self supporting state fund that provides workers’ compensation and disability benefits insurance in New York. With written premium of over $2 billion, NYSIF is the largest workers’ compensation insurance carrier in New York, and the sixth largest carrier in the country.
Under the general direction of the Director, Investment Services the Special Investment Officer (Fixed Income Portfolio Manager) will prepare and maintain information to be used in the investment management process for fixed income. Duties include but are not limited to:
• Manage an internal fixed income portfolio, including credit, municipals, and treasury, agency, MBS, and/or ABS portfolios.
• Research market opportunities, analyze trends, provide information on risk management, and analyze business, industry and economic condition forecasts as they relate to the fixed income markets.
• Oversee staff in the conduct of economic studies and analyses of fixed income market trends and cycles.
• Establish fixed income investment criteria and procedures based on the Fund’s investment strategy, overall policies and guidelines of the Board of Commissioners and fiduciary principles and guidelines.
• Make recommendations and propose policies and procedures related to a fixed income portfolio.
• Analyze investment proposals and select those that represent the best fixed income investment opportunities for the Fund based on risk, return, diversification and other criteria.
• Monitor and review the performance of the Fund’s fixed income portfolios.
• Bachelor’s degree, although preference may be given to candidates who have obtained an MBA or CFA.
• At least (5) five years of relevant investment experience in institutional investing which involved the management of a portfolio of $100 million or higher, including (2) two years of fixed income experience. Preference may be given to candidates whose experience has been acquired in a large financial institution such as the investment department of a bank or savings institution, a large pension fund, an insurance company, or an investment company.
• A track record of success as an investor in fixed income.
Contact Address: The State Insurance Fund
15 Computer Drive West
Albany, NY 12205