State Insurance Fund
Vacancy Notice INV 14-01
Posting Deadline: August 15, 2014
New York State Insurance Fund:
The New York State Insurance Fund (“NYSIF” or the “Fund”) is a self supporting state fund that provides workers’ compensation and disability benefits insurance in New York. With written premium of over $2 billion, NYSIF is the largest workers’ compensation insurance carrier in New York, and the sixth largest carrier in the country.
Under the general direction of the Director, Investment Services the Special Investment Officer (Alternative Investments) will implement and manage an alternative investment program. Alternative investments may consist of real estate, private equity, hedge funds, global fixed income and equity and emerging markets. Duties include but are not limited to:
• Implement a hedge fund program structured as a customized Fund of One, or as a direct program.
• Make recommendations with respect to implementation of programs in additional alternative asset classes.
• Enforce and maintain investment criteria to comply with statutory limitations and NYSIF’s Investment Guidelines as approved by NYSIF’s Board of Commissioners.
• Establish investment criteria and procedures for alternative asset classes based on the Fund’s investment strategy, overall policies and guidelines of the Board of Commissioners and fiduciary principles and guidelines.
• Make strategy recommendations and propose policies and procedures related to alternative investments portfolios.
• Analyze investment proposals and select those that represent the best alternative investments opportunities for the Fund based on risk, return, diversification and other criteria.
• Monitor and review the performance of the Fund’s alternative investments portfolios.
• Bachelor’s degree, although preference may be given to candidates who have obtained an MBA, CFA or CAIA.
• At least (5) five years of relevant investment experience in institutional investing which involved the management of a portfolio of $100 million or higher, including (2) two years of alternative investments experience. Preference may be given to candidates whose experience has been acquired in a large financial institution such as the investment department of a bank or savings institution, a large pension fund, an insurance company, or an investment company.
• A track record of success as an investor in alternative asset classes.
Contact Address: The State Insurance Fund
15 Computer Drive West
Albany, NY 12205