Additional winners, managers with 100 to 499 employees
West Sacramento, Calif.
$193.2 billion AUM (as of Sept. 30)
Years won: 2013, 2016
- Promotes career mobility through a range of in-house development programs and courses for different career stages.
- Provides full reimbursement for job-required training from outside vendors and reimburses up to $1,000 per year for career-related skill training that is not directly required by the employee's current role.
- Encourages team spirit through its “Virtuosity” employee recognition program, which gives the staff and managers resources to publicly appreciate individual contributions to the team, and sponsors team-building events like the “Investment Summer Olympics” and food-tasting events like “Choose Your Favorite Flavor of Oreos.”
- “Our CIO is open to ideas and supportive of every employee — spending time to meet and get to know each person.”
- “We do not just talk about increasing diversity, we actually practice it by reaching diverse managers and hiring diverse people.”
- “This organization makes it a place where people want to work because of the sense of integrity that people have. Also, the fact that at the end of the day my role assists California educators makes it personally fulfilling.”
This article originally appeared in the December 12, 2016 print issue as, "California State Teachers' Retirement System".