Pension Administration Manager
Aerojet, a premier aerospace and defense company specializing in missile and space propulsion, is seeking a Pension Administration Manager at our Sacramento, Calif. headquarters. The Pension Benefits organization offers a fast-paced dynamic environment requiring strong analytical skills and knowledge of benefits; and experience managing a team of administrators for a Defined Benefit plan. This position reports to the Director, Pension Benefits and facilitates the alignment and improvement of policies, processes and programs. It requires an individual who is independent, self-motivated, analytical, process and control oriented and who embraces the challenges of change.
The candidate selected will establish operational procedures; and interpret and establish policies for pension administration. Provide direction and oversight to a team of six administrators to ensure compliant administration of the seven programs under the qualified Defined Benefit plan (“Plan”) and the non-qualified Benefit Restoration Plan (“BRP”), including;
• Sets team member goals and objectives, provides coaching and establishes work assignments for team effectiveness. Addresses employee performance issues.
• Oversees and manages daily administration of Plan and BRP including complex benefit calculations and the benefits process lifecycle (estimates, retirements, deaths and QDROs) utilizing the internal pension application and other key spreadsheet models.
• Provides direction to staff regarding unusual calculations, maintaining SOX compliant external calculation models.
• Adheres to established Sarbanes-Oxley (“SOX”) controls and develops work instructions to support benefit administration processes.
• Develops a pension administrative guide (procedures) for the seven programs under the Plan, recommends process improvements and trains team in its use.
• Identifies, analyses, tracks and resolves administrative issues with internal and external compliance resources; providing data collection and analysis to ensure plan administration is in compliance with regulations.
• Identifies, analyses, tracks and resolves pension application data or calculation issues with internal and external technical team, with adherence to SOX compliant IT SDLC change processes (Software Design Life-Cycle.) Manages the testing of application changes.
• Performs reconciliations, validation and generation of reports meeting internal financial, regulatory compliance and SOX reporting requirements.
• Communicates changes to administration or processes to administrative staff.
Oversee and manage the annual valuation process for the Plan and BRP and other non-qualified plans to ensure compliance with established SOX controls and processes. Interface with the Plan actuary and pension technical team to provide accurate census data, making recommendation for and executing changes. Responds to actuary data questions.
Manage audit activities to ensure consistent delivery of services and regulatory compliance, recommending and coordinating corrective actions, including the Annual Benefit Audit, FAS87 Audit and SOX controls audits. Manage the collection of data and analyses required. Interfaces with internal and external auditors.
Special projects as requested, including providing solutions to complex problems. Recommends and performs process improvements and corrective actions.
To qualify you must have:
A Bachelor’s degree in HR, Business Administration, Accounting or Finance; CPA / MBA / ASPPA certification preferred.
Nine (9) years experience in finance, accounting, audit and/or benefit administration and compliance. Demonstrated ability to manage a team with the focus on work product quality, efficiency and compliance to regulations for a Defined Benefit plan.
Capable of working well under pressure, able to prioritize multiple projects and able come to consensus on issues.
Excellent communication skills with a hands-on approach to process improvement and effective problem resolution.
Experience in Defined Benefit plan administration, compliance and/or Sarbanes-Oxley a strong plus.
U.S. Citizenship, Permanent Residency or other status as a U.S. Person required.
To place your RFP, Classified, or Career Opportunity ad in Pensions & Investments newspaper and online, please contact Erin Smith at 212-210-0719.
Advertising for the Business Resources section closes 7 days prior to publication. View Business Resources Media Kit.